Thursday, February 2, 2017

UFO update

As I mentioned at the beginning of the year, my online guild is doing a UFO challenge this year.  So, at the end of January, I'm showing the progress I made on the two pieces I pulled out to work on when their numbers were called.

 #3 was assembled blocks that I needed to add borders to so it would be a better size for the guest room bed.  Accomplished!  Now it goes back on the list as a top ready for quilting.











#20 was a top ready for quilting.  I pondered how to quilt it, and finally made a plan, so I layered it- it had enough of the border fabric folded up with it for backing and binding!
I started quilting it, but time with the grandchildren takes priority and I didn't quite finish.  I'll probably finish it since I'm so close.





Here's a detail of the quilting so far.  The green spots will get a viney floral spray with curlicues/ spirals as a filler if needed.  The border will probably just be a loopy thing I've heard called lele quilting because it looks like a cursive lower case L and E combined. (It's in between the wormy bits here)



So, this month's numbers are 7 and 24. 

Ever hopeful it's something I can finish quickly, Martha goes to list and discovers both of these are kits (Fabric in a bag with the pattern) from long ago.










 #7 is part of a calendar quilt series of kits I signed up for way back when.  Not sure why- kits are never made using Martha fabrics, but I guess the samples in the store really appealed to me.  It's a snap quilt- you make a background quilt and just snap a new center on for each occasion.

The kits are all in a bag and at first I thought I'd just grab a random one.  But if I get it finished this month, I can use this one in March.    What about the background quilt, you ask?  That was the first kit, and I actually did some work on that, so it has its own number on the list.




#24 uses a pattern called Panel Panache  (click on the smaller picture, the one they have as the main one is hideous and I'd never have bought the pattern for that!- actually the sample the shop owner had was even better!)
I was using the one pansy fabric as my focus, so it's pink and purple.  I'm sure that's why I never made it.  But it makes up into a nice size for donation.  So I'm hoping to get the top pieced this month.








The other day I wanted to do something quick and easy to accomplish in a short time.  So I got out the "curious creatures" book I used a while back, and made a larger creature. 
I'm still not sure what he's for, but I may bring him with me on retreat at the end of the month to hold my phone charger.  Or maybe he should be my keyring, so I can stop locking myself out of my car!

I've been reviewing the things on this list for things I can do to feel like I am doing something!  This whole situation has me feeling powerless.   But learning a few facts about causes I care about is something I can do.  Dropping an email to my congressman or state representatives is something I can do.  If you want things to change, do what you can!

I am grateful for:
Triple A, and a warm place to wait.
When Jonathan sits with me and cuddles.
The DVR and DVDs
 I think I have my data usage issues under control at last. (I hope!)
Fresh brownies, warm and gooey!






2 comments:

  1. You have done far better than I. My two UFO's were organized, looked at, thought about, repackaged very nicely. They are not quite so lonely now though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Getting UFOs finished is a glorious feeling!

    ReplyDelete